MONROE STATION © 1991
Big Cypress National Preserve
Photographic Story Monroe Station was built in 1928 in conjunction with the building of the Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41). Realizing there were no services on the road he was building, Barron Collier built a wayside station every ten miles along the road. He hired some patrol officers who road motorcycles back and forth along the Tamiami Trail to help any stranded vehicles. These officers lived in the wayside stations. The wayside stations also had drums of gasoline, as well as convenience items. Monroe Station added a restaurant and a swamp buggy storage area. Monroe Station closed in 1990 and became part of the National Park system. In 2000 Monroe Station was added to the Florida Historical Record. Sadly, in 2016 the building caught fire and burnt to the ground. The Art of Hand Painting Black and White Photographs Niki prints her images on fiber-base black and white mat surface paper in the darkroom, then using Q-tips and cotton balls, she applies a thin coat of oil paint over the surface allowing the image to gently be seen through the oil paint. Archival Print Making Niki’s open edition gicleé artwork is printed on Sunset Bright Velvet Rag matte finish paper using eight archival inks. A state-of-the-art Epson Stylus Pro printer creates deep, rich dark values that hold subtle detail in the shadows as well as bright vivid colors that are truly tropical.